Amateur Radio Station


Amateur Radio exam study links

The Ham Radio Operator License Classes:

    In the US, there are 3 license levels, or "license classes." Technician, General and Extra classes.
These licenses are granted by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). These are not bought but earned.

    Technician Class - The First level of Ham radio license. Thisclass license is designed for beginning level hams. This is where you will open the door and go inside to the exciting world of Ham Radio and learn more about Amateur Radio as you progress.

    Technician operators now have 10 meter voice privileges(28.300 to 28.500mhz) plus CW on 80, 40, 15 and 10 meters! It authorizes you ALL ham radio privileges above 30 Megahertz (MHz). 1500 watts of power and these privileges include the very popular 2-meter band. Many Technician licensees enjoy using small 2-meter hand-held radios to stay in touch with other hams in their area or operating from just about any vehicle, boat, etc. Imagine sending live TV in realtime or just still pictures over the air!

    Technician class Hams may operate FM voice, digital packet (computers), television, single-sideband voice and several other interesting modes. As a Technician class Ham Radio Operator, you can even make international radio contacts via Ham Radio satellites, and actually communicate directly to hams aboard the International Space Station (ISS) using relatively simple and inexpensive equipment they operate.

    Imagine the thrill of talking to the astronauts, many of whom are licensed "ham radio operators", aboard the Space Station, talking directly to ham satellites in space that relay your signals to earth, or just around the block or around the world using your own licensed equipment! Using the computer and Ham radio, you can talk using your voice or the keyboard to ham friends or make new ones literally around the world! Hams know how to do this! It's certainly not CB radio! It's way beyond and out of this world excitement over radio!

    To do all of this, you must be licensed by the Federal Communications commission, (the FCC) and in order to get a license, you must pass an exam for one or more of the license's.
To earn a Technician Ham license, which is the entry level license, and will get you started and open the many "doors" awaiting you, you'll need to pass the Technician written exam. It is written with the beginner in mind. With a little study on your part and a passing grade behind you, you get your first ham radio license! The license is FREE and issued by the Federal Government!

    Three classes of ham radio operators along with three multiple-choice exams.  You donít need a background in Electronics although it does help for the higher classes of licenses. You'll study topics such as radio operating practices, FCC rules and regulations and very basic electrical and electronic theory.

Technician class sample exam links
General class sample exam links
Extra class sample exam links
I welcome all additions and corrections email to kb1rbc